Carnival Elation cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a passenger vessel with IMO number 9118721, owned by Carnival Cruise Lines. Among the unfortunate events at sea are crew and passenger incidents (deaths, injuries, crimes), machinery malfunctions.
Here you can also track MS Carnival Elation position at sea.using the AIS live ships tracker of VesselFinder. The 70,400-ton 2060-passenger Carnival cruise ship Elation was built in 1998 by the Kvaerner-Masa shipbuilding company in Finland.
Carnival Elation accidents & incidents
At the Carnival Elation CruiseMinus page you will find a complete list of this Carnival ship’s major accidents and cruise incidents. Reports are made by our own staff using official data from major online news media sources, Wikipedia and USCG (Coast Guard) reports.
Here we also post updates on Carnival Elation cruise law news. They are related to recent crimes being investigated. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits, charges and fines, grievances, settled /withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.
You can add more details or submit your own Carnival Elation ship incidents (negative cruise experience reports) via the Cruise Minus “contact us” form.
This is link to the ship’s official site Carnival.com.
- August 25, 2000, two sailings were cancelled (Oct 29, Nov 5) for a preventative ship maintenance on both Azipod propulsion units.
- October 27, 2002, a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise from San Diego was cancelled due to propulsion problems causing a reduced cruising speed. The ship entered dry-dock for repairs in San Francisco CA.
- June 25, 2005, in Gulf of Mexico waters and at midday, the ship experienced a power loss for ~1 hour.
- October 20, 2009, while transiting the San Diego Bay, the vessel had a propulsion issue with one of its Azipod units failing. The cause for the incident was failure of the unit’s electronic control system.
- March 9, 2013, while on a 7-day Mexico cruise from New Orleans, the ship experienced a steering problem with one of its 2 Azipods (propulsion units). A tugboat escort was requested as the ship maneuvered away from the dock and into the Mississippi river.
- May 30, 2016, in the end of its 4-day Bahamas cruise from Jacksonville FL (itinerary May 26-30, to Freeport and Nassau), the ship experienced a power loss accident. The vessel lost its power (and propulsion) ~60 ml / 100 km off the Florida’s coast. The power outage lasted for ~ 1 hour during which time the ship drifted. Several tugboats accompanied the vessel as it returned to JAXPORT (about 1 1/2 hours behind schedule).
Crew & Passenger Death accidents
- July 31, 2000, a 42-year-old male passenger jumped overboard off the coast of Mexico.
- January 26, 2003, a 35-year-old female passenger jumped overboard. The woman was reported missing by her husband the next morning.
- June 24, 2005, a 40-year-old passenger travelling with her family went overboard. The woman was reported missing at 11 am, when the ship was off the coast of Mexico. A full search and rescue operation was conducted, but the body was never found. The incident report applied a suicide.
- July 16, 2009, FBI agents boarded the ship to investigate the murder of a 55-year-old woman. female passenger. The vessel was on the second leg of a Mexican Riviera cruise from San Diego CA. The accident was a result of a domestic dispute between the woman and her husband.
- April 24, 2010, a male passenger died from natural causes on a 3-day cruise San Diego to Ensenada, Mexico. Passenger disembarkation was delayed ~3 hours during due to the FBI investigation on the ship.
- February 20, 2014, a male passenger died due to acute respiratory failure.
- February 6, 2017, a 26-year-old male passenger was arrested and charged with drug trafficking. The man (Marty Hall, resident of Chattanooga TN USA) was arrested at JAXPORT (Port of Jacksonville) cruise terminal when a K-9 dog alerted the patrolling police officers. He told police that while in call port Nassau (Bahamas, Feb 4), he purchased a total of 33 codeine pills (medication requiring prescription), then grinded them up for sneaking the drug into the USA.
- February 13, 2017, a 24-year-old male passenger was reported fell overboard. The accident occurred while the ship was em-route from Jacksonville Florida to Nassau, approx 15 ml (25 km) southwest of Great Abaco Island (Bahamas). CCTV records showed the man (Kevin Wellons) going overboard from Verandah Deck 11, at ~2:45 am. An USCG team was dispatched from Air Station Miami to conduct search and rescue operation. According to the USCG, the man was reported missing by his wife at ~11 am, or ~3 hours after the cruise ship berthed in Nassau Bahamas. The ship was on a 5-night roundtrip Bahamas cruise from Jacksonville (itinerary Feb 11-16) visiting Nassau and Carnival’s private island Half Moon Cay.
Crew & Passenger incidents (injuries, crimes)
- November 6, 2006, 4 passengers suffered minor injuries due to an incident during disembarkation in homeport Cape Canaveral (Port Canaveral, Orlando) Florida. A welded part of the gangway (telescopic bridge) gave way and fell ~1 ft / 30 cm, stopped by the safety ropes. The jolt threw 4 of the passengers onto the gangway.
- April 7, 2011, a 19-year-old male passenger was arrested for abusing a minor.
- April 8, 2011, on a Western Caribbean cruise from Mobile AB, a male passenger experienced cardiac arrest. He was disembarked in Cozumel and transported to Cancun, Mexico.
- November 24, 2012, an intoxicated male crew fell on a carpet floor, suffering a spinal injury. He was transported to local New Orleans hospital.
- Reports for crew and passengers in possession of illegal drugs were filed in 2013 (December 9).
- Reports for passengers arrested for past fugitive warrants were filed in 2013 (January 3, 21, 26 & 30, February 17 & 23, April 20 & 25, May 23, June 24, August 1, 19 & 24, September 2, 16 & 21, October 10 & 14, November 21, December 9).
On the above map you can track the Carnival Elation cruise ship’s position now. It shows the vessel’s current location at sea (or in port) by live tracking of its IMO number 9118721. If you lose the ship on the map, please reload this page.