Carnival Magic cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a passenger vessel with IMO number 9378486, owned by Carnival Cruise Lines. Among the unfortunate events at sea are crew and passenger incidents (deaths, injuries, crimes), machinery malfunctions.
Here you can also track MS Carnival Magic position at sea.using the AIS live ships tracker of VesselFinder. The 128,050-ton 4670-passenger Carnival cruise ship Magic was built in 2011 by the Fincantieri shipbuilding company in Italy.
Carnival Magic accidents & incidents
At the Carnival Magic CruiseMinus page you will find a complete list of this Carnival ship’s major accidents and cruise incidents. Reports are made by our own staff using official data from major online news media sources, Wikipedia and USCG (Coast Guard) reports.
Here we also post updates on Carnival Magic cruise law news. They are related to recent crimes being investigated. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits, charges and fines, grievances, settled /withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.
You can add more details or submit your own Carnival Magic ship incidents (negative cruise experience reports) via the Cruise Minus “contact us” form.
This is link to the ship’s official site Carnival.com.
Ship collision incident
- March 22, 2014, two cruise ships – Carnival Magic and the Royal Caribbean’s Navigator of the Seas – were stuck outside Galveston Bay, unable to enter and dock. A third cruise vessel (Princess Cruises’ Caribbean Princess) was stranded at the port overnight. The inconvenience was caused by a collision between fuel barge and crude oil tanker. The accident lead to partial sinking of the barge and leaking over 150,000 gallons (nearly 570,000 litres) of fuel from the tanker, casing spillage in the Galveston Bay. The Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships delayed their arrival/docking in Galveston. Carnival Cruise Lines decided to postpone embarkation by a day. Passengers who choose to continue on the shortened itinerary received one-day (pro-rated / partial) refund.
- November 17, 2011, due to propulsion system problems (with one of the aft thrusters), the ship stopped for 2 days at sea for emergency repairs. The incident resulted in Mexico itinerary changes – Costa Maya port call and a sea day were replaced with a Progreso overnight stay.
Crew & Passenger Death accidents
- July 2, 2013, a male passenger died falling from his cabin’s balcony, He was reported trying to sit on the veranda’s railing when fell backwards. He stroke another room’s balcony railing before hitting deck floor 3 stories below.
Crew & Passenger incidents (injuries, crimes)
- December 11, 2011, ~3 hours after leaving homeport Galveston, the ship returned back due to a medical emergency.
- February 25, 2012, a male passenger (wearing life jacket) fell overboard in heavy seas.
- February 27, 2012, a crew member fell overboard but was rescued after ~45 min. The incident happened at ~10:30 pm, off the coast of Galveston TX. USCG were alerted, but before their arrival, the ship launched a rescue boat and rescued the man. The report said the man was working on an opendeck area when slipped over the railing and fell in the water.
- March 4, 2012, a female crew slipped in water and fell, fracturing her right hip. She was medivaced by USCG.
- May 9, 2012, a false bio-hazard threat resulted in a passenger eviction from the ship in homeport Galveston TX. The famous neurosurgeon from Nashville, Tennessee, Dr Jack Kruse was on the ship to attend a lecture about his “Epi-Paleo” diet plan. Instead giving a speech, he became a suspect of bioterrorism. His cabin was extensively searched by the ship’s security staff and later by FBI agents. The whole incident started with a threatening tweet sent from a false Twitter account using the doctor’s name. The tweet was about him having a vial of a disease to spread on the ship. Someone obviously had notified Carnival Cruise Lines. Later FBI agents and Galveston port police boarded the ship. The man was first questioned and then removed from the ship.
- January 19, 2013, a female passenger tripped on the theater’s stage edge and fell, fracturing her left hip. She was disembarked in Galveston (Jan 20) for surgery ashore.
- January 15, 2016, while en-route back to Galveston (some 5 hours after departure from call port Cozumel Mexico) the ship changed course to Cancun due to a medical emergency. There an elderly male passenger was medevaced (alive) and transferred to a rescue boat at ~1:30 am.
On the above map you can track the Carnival Magic cruise ship’s position now. It shows the vessel’s current location at sea (or in port) by live tracking of its IMO number 9378486. If you lose the ship on the map, please reload this page.