Celebrity Eclipse cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a passenger vessel with IMO number 9404314, owned by the Celebrity Cruises line (a Royal Caribbean brand). Among the unfortunate events at sea are Norovirus illness outbreaks, crew and passenger incidents (deaths, injuries, crimes), shore excursion incidents, machinery malfunctions.
Here you can also track MS Celebrity Eclipse position at sea.using the AIS live ships tracker of VesselFinder. The 121,900-ton 2870-passenger Celebrity cruise ship Eclipse was built in 2010 by the Meyer Werft shipbuilding company in Germany.
Celebrity Eclipse accidents & incidents
At the Celebrity Eclipse CruiseMinus page you will find a complete list of this Celebrity cruise ship’s major accidents and cruise incidents. Reports are made by our own staff using official data from major online news media sources, Wikipedia and USCG (Coast Guard) reports.
Here we also post updates on Celebrity Eclipse cruise law news. They are related to recent crimes being investigated. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits, charges and fines, grievances, settled /withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.
You can add more details or submit your own Celebrity Eclipse ship incidents (negative cruise experience reports) via the Cruise Minus “contact us” form.
This is link to the ship’s official site CelebrityCruises.com.
- April 2010, after the volcano eruption in Iceland (Eyjafjallajökull volcano), flights to the UK were suspended, leaving nearly 2000 UK tourists stranded in Bilbao, Spain. The newly launched vessel was send to Bilbao out of Southampton England on a “good will” voyage (April 21 to 23) and carried the tourists back home.
Crew & Passenger Death accidents
- May 20, 2011, a 31-year-old crew jumped overboard. The man (of Filipino origin) was reported missing ~8 ml / 13 km north of call port Cherbourg, France. CCTV camera captured him at 10:15 pm to climb over a railing and jump overboard. The conducted search failed to find the body. During the accident, the ship was in the English Channel, returning to homeport Southampton England from a 14-days Mediterranean voyage.
- November 17, 2011, a 60-year-old female passenger died and her daughter (aged 34) was seriously injured on a sponsored by Celebrity Cruises shore excursion in St Thomas (USVI). The accident occurred at ~4:30 pm during a parasailing excursion (tandem riding), ~1 ml / 2 km south of Water Island. Pending the investigation’s outcome, the line cancelled all parasailing excursions in the Caribbean Sea. The injured woman was hospitalized at Schneider Hospital. The ship was on 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise from homeport Miami, a round-trip itinerary to Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Maarten.
Crew & Passenger incidents (injuries, crimes)
- November 23, 2011, 2 passengers (a couple from Los Angeles CA) were arrested in Basseterre (St Kitts) and charged for drug possession. In the morning, the ship’s security staff searched their cabin and found marijuana. The local drug police boarded the ship and started an investigation. They questioned the couple and took them into custody. The recovered drugs were tested positive for cannabis. In court the couple pleaded guilty and were fined ~US$2,000 each. They were not allowed to embark the ship, so flew back home on the next day on their own expenses.
- April 12, 2013, a total of 55 passengers and 2 crew were robbed at gunpoint while on a sponsored by Celebrity Cruises shore excursion in Soufriere (St Lucia). No injuries were reported. The incident happened when the tour bus visited the Soufriere’s Botanical Gardens. On April 15, the local police arrested 1 of the 4 suspects. The man in a written statement confessed to the armed robbery and was charged. No injuries were reported, although an alternative source mentioned a female passenger fell during the incident and broke her leg.
- April 22, 2013, a 27-year-old male crew was arrested when the ship docked in homeport Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) Florida. The man (Huan Shen, of Chinese origin) was charged with grand theft. He was accused of stealing a total of US$7,900 cash from 2 other crew members (his cabinmates, also Chinese).
Norovirus cruise illness outbreaks
- July 26, 2010, the ship reported a chickenpox (varicella) illness outbreak on day 2 of its July 10 Baltic cruise from Southampton UK. Some of the sick passengers were disembarked in Warnemunde (port to Rostock and Berlin Germany).
- September 2011, an UK news media reported Norovirus outbreak (gastrointestinal illness) affected the ship’s 11-days Eastern Mediterranean voyage round-trip from homeport Southampton England. All sick suffered from the Noro virus symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea) and were quarantined to their cabins. After the passenger disembarkation at Ocean Terminal, the ship and the cruise terminal were sanitized.
- Note: When the itinerary doesn’t include US cruise ports, the ship is not required to report to CDC, thus no official illness report would be issued.
On the above map you can track the Celebrity Eclipse cruise ship’s position now. It shows the vessel’s current location at sea (or in port) by live tracking of its IMO number 9404314. If you lose the ship on the map, please reload this page.