Celebrity Equinox cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a passenger vessel with IMO number 9372456, owned by the Celebrity Cruises line (a Royal Caribbean brand). Among the unfortunate events at sea are Norovirus illness outbreaks, crew and passenger incidents (deaths, injuries, crimes), shore excursion incidents, machinery malfunctions.
Here you can also track MS Celebrity Equinox position at sea.using the AIS live ships tracker of VesselFinder. The 121,880-ton 2850-passenger Celebrity cruise ship Equinox was built in 2009 by the Meyer Werft shipbuilding company in Germany.
Celebrity Equinox accidents & incidents
At the Celebrity Equinox CruiseMinus page you will find a complete list of this Celebrity cruise ship’s major accidents and cruise incidents. Reports are made by our own staff using official data from major online news media sources, Wikipedia and USCG (Coast Guard) reports.
Here we also post updates on Celebrity Equinox cruise law news. They are related to recent crimes being investigated. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits, charges and fines, grievances, settled /withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.
You can add more details or submit your own Celebrity Equinox ship incidents (negative cruise experience reports) via the Cruise Minus “contact us” form.
This is link to the ship’s official site CelebrityCruises.com.
- Fortunately, no such incidents were reported so far.
Crew & Passenger Death accidents
- September 26, 2011, a 24-year-old male passenger jumped overboard in the sea from deck 11. The man (of American origin) died after hitting a lifeboat on the way down. The accident happened in the Mediterranean Sea, at ~8 am when the ship was en-route to Kusadasi Turkey. A Turkish news media reported the man was sleepwalking when he fell overboard.
- March 28, 2012, a 49-year-old female passenger was reported missing on a sponsored by Celebrity Cruises shore excursion in Cozumel Mexico. The woman (Christina Cassin, from Acworth GA), together with her husband (Scott Turco) were on a Santa Rosa reef diving excursion. They were ~10 min into the diving when she decided to surface. Her husband turned to inform the dive guide next to him, and when he turned back, she was disappeared. Investigation suggested she might have been pulled in the strong downward current along the wall.
- (itinerary changes) For the whole 2016, Celebrity Cruises cancelled the Equinox ship’s visits (with an overnight stay) to call port Istanbul Turkey. The changes were due to the Salipazari Port (Galataport) construction project. The development of the Istanbul’s cruise port Galataport will be completed sometime in the 2018’s last quarter. This means that the Celebrity Cruises Equinox itinerary program 2017-2018 for the Eastern Mediterranean could be also affected.
Crew & Passenger incidents (injuries, crimes)
- September 12, 2011 (law news), a lawsuit against the shipowner Celebrity Cruises was filed by a female crew. The woman (of South African origin) worked on the ship until Feb 2011 as perfume sales assistant (concessionaire employed by Harding Retail, an UK company). She was sexually assaulted during a Mediterranean cruise in October 2010. In the early hours she left the crew lounge, fell asleep and awoke when a male crew was raping her. The incident was reported to her supervisors. The assailant crew was fired but not arrested.
- July 16, 2012, a 27-year-old female passenger was sexually assaulted by a 27-year-old male crew. The woman (of British origin) was traveling with her parents. The ship was a 11-nights roundtrip Eastern Mediterranean cruise to Greece and Turkey from homeport Southampton England. The incident occurred soon after the vessel left call port Civitavecchia (Rome) and was en-rote to Messina (Sicily). The victim said they met in a bar, spent several hours drinking together, then he followed her back to her stateroom and raped her. This was confirmed by the CCTV footage. The crew (working on the ship as entertainment performer) was arrested in Messina.
Norovirus cruise illness outbreaks
- July 17, 2009, a Dutch news media reported over 2100 people (passengers and crew) were vaccinated against the measles disease. The incident occurred when the ship was docked in call port Eemshaven (Groningen, Holland). Two crew members were earlier diagnosed with measles. All the 20 crew who were in contact with the sick were disembarked and moved to a hotel in Delfzijl (Groningen).
- February 2015, CDC reported on the voyage Feb 13 to 23, a Norovirus outbreak (gastrointestinal illness) infected 142 passengers (out of 2896, or 4,9%) and 8 crew (out of 1209, or 0,7%). All sick suffered from Noro virus symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea) and were quarantined to their cabins. The ship was on a 10-days Eastern Caribbean round-trip from homeport Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) Florida. The itinerary included stops in St Thomas, St Kitts, Barbados, Dominica, St Maarten.
- Note: When the itinerary doesn’t include US cruise ports, the ship is not required to report to CDC, thus no official illness report would be issued.
On the above map you can track the Celebrity Equinox cruise ship’s position now. It shows the vessel’s current location at sea (or in port) by live tracking of its IMO number 9372456. If you lose the ship on the map, please reload this page.