Costa Pacifica cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a passenger vessel with IMO number 9378498, owned by Carnival Corporation and operated by its subsidiary the Costa Crociere line company. Among the unfortunate events at sea are collisions, illness outbreaks, crew and passenger incidents (deaths, injuries, crimes), machinery malfunctions.
Here you can also track MS Costa Pacifica position at sea.using the AIS live ships tracker of VesselFinder. The 114,500-ton 3800-passenger Costa cruise ship Pacifica was built in 2009 by the Fincantieri shipbuilding company in Italy.
Costa Pacifica accidents & incidents
At the Costa Pacifica CruiseMinus page you will find a complete list of Costa Cruises Pacifica ship’s major accidents and cruise incidents. Reports are made by our own staff using official data from major online news media sources, Wikipedia and Coast Guard reports.
Here we also post updates on Costa Pacifica cruise law news. They are related to recent crimes being investigated. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits, charges and fines, grievances, settled /withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.
You can add more details or submit your own Costa Pacifica ship incidents (negative cruise experience reports) via the Cruise Minus “contact us” form.
This is link to the ship’s official site CostaCruise.com.
Pier collision accident
- December 11, 2012, while maneuvering for docking in call port Marseille France, the vessel struck a pier. The incident occurred at ~8:15 am. The results were porside hull damage (~26 ft / 8 m long gush above waterline), affected propulsion unit (bow thruster) and interior damages (on crew deck 0). No injuries were reported. The Marseille departure was delayed by ~16 1/2 hours, as the ship left port on Dec 12 (at 10:30 am) instead of the scheduled Dec 11 (at 6 pm). The current itinerary was not affected, since Dec 13 was day at sea. As compensation, all passengers received Euro 150 per cabin in onboard credit plus free port transfers in the call ports Marseille, Barcelona and Palermo (Sicily). Due to the delay, passengers flying back home from Barcelona were complimentary transported via buses from Marseille (on Dec 12).
- Note: Actually, this type of marine accidents is called “allision” (striking a fixed object) as opposed to “collision” (striking another vessel).
- June 5, 2009, the ship’s naming in Genoa Italy was a dual christening ceremony. It included (for the first time in the world ever) two Costa cruise ships – Pacifica and Costa Luminosa. Both cruise vessels were christened simultaneously, setting a Guinness World record for “Most ships inaugurated in one day by one company”. Fun fact is that both vessels were also simultaneously launched on June 5, 2008 at their respective shipbuilding yards – in Sestri Ponente (Pacifica) and in Marghera (Luminosa).
Crew & Passenger Death accidents
- Fortunately, no such tragic incidents were reported so far.
Crew & Passenger incidents (injuries, crimes)
- August 18, 2015, the Costa Cruises line officially canceled its ships visits to the Turkish ports Istanbul and Izmir for the remainder of 2015. These 2 ports of call in Turkey were replaced by alternative cruise ports in Greece and Italy, and on some itineraries – with Valletta Malta. The itinerary changes affected 3 Costa Crociere ships – Pacifica (September, October and November), Costa Deliziosa (October and November) and Costa neoClassica (August through December). The decision came in response to the terrorist attack on the US consulate (Istanbul, Aug 10).
Norovirus cruise illness outbreaks
- February 27, 2014, an Italian news media reported an measles illness outbreak affected a total of 59 crew. No sick passengers were reported. The infected were disembarked in Civitavecchia-Rome for medical treatment ashore. The disease affects the respiratory system. The symptoms are coughing, fever, red eyes, runny nose, rash. The virus spreads via close or direct contact, but mostly by coughing. The highly contagious measles virus is particularly dangerous to women in their childbearing age. All US-based cruise ship lines vaccinate their staff and crew for measles.
On the above map you can track the Costa Pacifica cruise ship’s position now. It shows the vessel’s current location at sea (or in port) by live tracking of its IMO number 9378498. If you lose the ship on the map, please reload this page.