Pullmantur Monarch Of The Seas

Pullmantur Monarch Of The Seas
4.3 (86.67%) 3 votes

Pullmantur Monarch of the Seas cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a passenger vessel with IMO number 8819500, owned by RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd) and operated by its subsidiary company Pullmantur Cruises. Among the unfortunate events at sea are groundings, Norovirus illness outbreaks, crew and passenger incidents (deaths, injuries, crimes), machinery malfunctions.

Here you can also track MS Monarch position at sea.using the AIS live ships tracker of VesselFinder. The 73,940-ton 2750-passenger Pullmantur cruise ship Monarch was built in 1991 (as “Monarch of the Seas”) by the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipbuilding company in France.

Pullmantur Monarch accidents & incidents

Pullmantur Monarch of the Seas accidents and incidents - Cruise MinusAt the Pullmantur Monarch CruiseMinus page you will find a complete list of this Royal Caribbean-Pullmantur ship’s major accidents and cruise incidents. including the period 1991-2013 (when operating as “Monarch Of The Seas”). Reports are made by our own staff using official data from major online news media sources, Wikipedia and USCG (Coast Guard) reports.

Here we also post updates on Pullmantur Monarch cruise law news. They are related to recent crimes being investigated. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits, charges and fines, grievances, settled /withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.

You can add more details or submit your own MS Monarch ship incidents (negative cruise experience reports) via the Cruise Minus “contact us” form.

This is link to the ship’s official site PullmanturCruises.co.uk

History, technical incidents

  • Launched as Monarch of the Seas, it was the Royal Caribbean;s second Sovereign-class vessel – preceded by MS Sovereign of the Seas (1988) and followed by MS Majesty of the Seas (1992). The Pullmantur Monarch cruise operations started on April 1, 2013, when the ship was transferred from the RCI (Royal Caribbean International) fleet to the Pullmantur Cruises line.
  • January 27, 2006, at least 10 suite cabins (located on deck 10) were damaged by flooding caused by a broken swimming pool pipe. The affected staterooms, as well as the deck’s hallway were re-carpeted. Each of the affected passengers received USD 150 in onboard credit as compensation. They were all relocated to other cabins. The flooding also partially affected the Claude’s Restaurant (Dinning Room on deck 3).
  • May 16, 2006, Monarch of The Seas was approaching port San Diego when its main engine (No 1) failed. The accident was caused by a cracked high-temperature rubber expansion of the engine, causing leaking of the cooling water. The ship was ordered to not enter and remain outside San Diego Harbor until the needed repairs were made.
  • In May 2007, Monarch of the Seas became the world’s first large-sized cruise ship to be commanded by a female Captain – Karin Stahre Janson (Swedish).
  • September 12, 2016, the ship struck a whale bringing it into port Lisbon (Portugal). The carcass (~20 ft / 6 m long) was found wrapped around the ship’s bulbous bow.
  • July 22, 2012, severe weather in Coco Cay (Bahamas, Royal Caribbean private island) with strong winds (100 mph (160 kph) caused the Monarch of the Seas to list at approx 15-20 degrees. The incident cased crashed dishware, emptied pools and chaos among passengers. The tendering operation was cancelled, the already tendered (disembarked) passengers were brought back to the ship and the island was evacuated.

Ship grounding accident

  • December 15, 1998, as Monarch of the Seas, the ship evacuated a sick passenger. Soon after that, while departing port Philipsburg (St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles), the vessel grazed a reef. The reef striking opened a gash (sized 131,2 x 6,6 ft / 40 x 2 m) along the starboard hull. The cruise ship started taking water, beginning to sink by its head. Three of its watertight compartments were flooded completely, and several others – partly. In order to prevent sinking, the ship was grounded intentionally on a sandbar. All passengers and most of the crew were evacuated by local tender operators. No injuries or deaths were reported.
  • The ship’s grounding caused breaking of 2 diesel fuel tanks, resulting in a small fuel spill of about 380 L (100 US gallons).
  • The USCG and the Maritime Investigation found that the accident was a result of numerous “human performance deficiencies”. The Philipsburg port departure was done visually (the computerized navigation system was not used), and the new buoy locations were not charted on the map.
  • The cruise ship was 3 months dry-docked for repairs in Mobile AL (at the Atlantic Marine shipyard). Among the major damages caused by this accident were: a total of 114 compartments (needed extensive cleaning), the machinery was replaced, damaged electrical cables (29 km / 18 ml of electrical wiring was replaced), the hull was partially repainted.

Crew & Passenger Death accidents

  • (toxic gas leak) September 2, 2005, while Monarch of the Seas was berthed in Los Angeles for maintenance, a sewage pipe leaked about 5 gallons (19 L) of raw sewage in the shaft tunnel of the starboard propeller. In the same time, some H2S (toxic gas) escaped from the ship’s ballast tanks. Unfortunately, this accident resulted also in 3 crew deaths – Boris Dimitrov (Bulgarian), Radomilja Frane (Croatian) and Willie Tirol (Filipino) – while 19 other crew were injured. The 3 crew were killed instantaneously, as they were not equipped with gas masks. No passengers were injured.
  • (toxic gas leak) August 9, 2008 (law news) a former staff manager (Bjoern Eidiseen) filed a law suit against RCCL alleging he was injured in the September 2005 accident (see above). The crew claimed that the venting of the ballast tanks took place not “at speed and at sea” (as recommended) but when the ship was not at speed and in port. The claim also stated that this caused regularly noxious gas to leak into work and passenger areas (including cruise cabins via the air-conditioning system) for months following the 2005 accident. On June 14, 2011 (law news) 11th Judicial Circuit Court of Florida ruled “gross indifference to the life and health that allowed poison gas exposure to its passengers”. Judge Marc Schumacher wrote in the ruling that the RCI company’s conduct “was either intentional or constituted gross negligence” and “failed to take reasonable measures to prevent exposure to the poison gas”, The USCG investigation document cited “extensive corrosion” (patched holes) found in engine room pipes where the gas leak originated.
  • January 30, 2006, the 38-year-old Captain of the ship Joern Rene Klausen was found dead in his suite. The cruise ship was en-route from Ensenada (Baja Mexico) to Los Angeles CA, returning from a 3-day cruise. Police and FBI agents boarded the ship in LA for investigation. Passenger disembarkation was delayed. The autopsy showed that his death was of natural causes (“gastritis with contributing factors of early pneumonia, water intoxication syndrome due to alcohol withdrawal”). Allegedly, Captain Klausen had a history of alcohol abuse. Later, some of the crew claimed that 2 days before the incident, he had been so drunk that he was incapable of commanding the vessel and sent to his cabin to sleep it off.
  • December 31, 2009, a 23-year-old female passenger (of Indian origin, wife of a recently hired crew) was reported fell overboard while Monarch of the Seas was sailing in Bahamas (en-route from Nassau to Coco Cay). The woman was last seen at ~3:45 am. CCTV records showed she jumped overboard from deck 11 (portside) at ~4 am. On January 5, 2010, just 48 hours after the suicide, the husband (onboard manager) went missing after the vessel returned in Miami FL.
  • January 11, 2012, a 25-year-old male crew was reported jumped overboard at ~5:45 am when the Monarch of the Seas was en-route from Miami to Nassau Bahamas. CCTV recordings confirmed the overboard jump. The incident was officially reported to the appropriate authorities, and the vessel immediately turned and started a search and rescue operation. In the search the Monarch ship was soon joined by the sailing nearby Carnival Sensation, Disney Dream and Norwegian Jewel. An USCG helicopter MH-60 was also dispatched from the US Navy base in Bahamas. The body was never found.

Crew & Passenger incidents (injuries, crimes)

  • February 28, 2003, a male crew was performing routine maintenance in the Monarch of the Seas’ engine room when a boiler valve malfunctioned. The man was burned by the hot water.
  • December 21, 2012, ~3 hours after departure, the ship returned to Port Canaveral Florida after an 1-year-old kid was injured. The child crawled through a railing on deck 11 and fell to a cabin balcony on deck 10. The kid was airlifted and transported to the Orlando’s Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children.
  • (Pullmantur) February 1, 2017, a male passenger was detained in George Town (Grand Cayman) after 3 rounds of 22 calibre ammunition were discovered in his luggage during the x-ray check at the cruise port’s security checkpoint. The man (Narciso Barrios, of Panamanian origin) was re-boarding the ship after going ashore. He was handed over to Grand Cayman seaport’s customs officers. The investigation showed that he is a licensed (in Panama) firearm holder of a 22 Long Rifle. He admitted the gun is for agricultural purposes, not used for a long time, and he didn’t know how long the ammunition had been in his bag. The man was charged and fined, but without conviction.

Norovirus cruise illness outbreaks

  • November 18, 2002, a Norovirus outbreak (gastrointestinal illness) affected approx 100 passengers and crew during the previous itinerary,
  • Note: When the itinerary doesn’t include US cruise ports, the ship is not required to report to CDC, thus no official illness report would be issued.

MS Monarch current position

On the above map you can track MS Monarch cruise ship’s position now. It shows the vessel’s current location at sea (or in port) by live tracking of its IMO number 8819500. If you lose the ship on the map, please reload this page.