MS Zuiderdam cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a passenger vessel with IMO number 9221279, owned by Holland America Line (a Carnival Corporation brand). Among the unfortunate events at sea are fires, Norovirus illness outbreaks, crew and passenger incidents (deaths, injuries, crimes), shore excursion incidents, machinery malfunctions.
Here you can also track MS Zuiderdam position at sea.using the AIS live ships tracker of VesselFinder. The 81,800-ton 2280-passenger Holland America cruise ship Zuiderdam was built in 2002 by the Fincantieri shipbuilding company in Italy.
MS Zuiderdam accidents & incidents
At the MS Zuiderdam CruiseMinus page you will find a complete list of this Holland America ship’s major accidents and cruise incidents. Reports are made by our own staff using official data from major online news media sources, Wikipedia and USCG (Coast Guard) reports.
Here we also post updates on Holland America Zuiderdam cruise law news. They are related to recent crimes being investigated. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits, charges and fines, grievances, settled /withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.
You can add more details or submit your own Zuiderdam ship incidents (negative cruise experience reports) via the Cruise Minus “contact us” form.
This is link to the ship’s official site HollandAmerica.com.
- May 26, 2008, the ship was operating for the summer in Europe (Mediterranean Sea). While docked in Dubrovnik Croatia, at ~1:30 pm a fire broke out in a storage section. Fire trucks arrived at the pier to assist the ship. The incident lasted for ~1 hour. No injuries were reported.
- November 30, 2008, the ship reported a small electrical fire, which was quickly extinguished. No injuries or any damages were reported.
- January 19, 2012, an engine room fire incident occurred at ~5 am. No injuries or damages were reported.
- March 29, 2006, at ~midnight, the vessel suffered a total power loss and was drifting for ~1 hour. The incident occurred en-route from St Thomas (USVI) to BVI (Tortola).
- July 26, 2006, a technical malfunction near Skagway Alaska (1 of all 5 diesel generators) resulted in an excessive black smoke released from the stacks. The heavy smoke was from the stacks exclusively, and for ~5 minutes. The smoke emission was so immense, it was reported coming at least 3 blocks into the town of Skagway.
- September 25, 2012, USCG reported a “material failure” (unspecified issue).
Crew & Passenger Death accidents
- August 16, 2007, in a sponsored by Holland America Alaska shore excursion in Ketchikan, a plane crash accident killed 5 of all 9 people, and 4 were medevaced to a Seattle hospital. On the flightseeing tour, the seaplane crashed in Traitors Cove (inside narrows near Ketchikan AK), ~200 ft / 60 m from the water. On the plane 7 were Zuiderdam cruise passengers. The investigation showed bad flying conditions (high winds and darkness).
- December 25, 2010 (Christmas Day), a 3-year-old girl drowned on Half Moon Cay (private island in Bahamas). When the accident occurred, the kid was together with her father who found her lying face down in the beach’s shallow waters. The girl was boated to Davis Harbour (Eleuthera Island), then transported to Rock Sound Clinic where was pronounced dead.
Crew & Passenger incidents (injuries, crimes)
- September 28, 2009, a female passenger was found unconscious in one of the ship’s jacuzzies at !11 am. During the incident, the ship was transiting through Tillamook Bay (Oregon). An USCG helicopter medevaced and transported the woman to the Tillamook County General Hospital.
Norovirus cruise illness outbreaks
- December-January 2006, CDC reported on the voyage Dec 30 (2005) to Jan 7 (2006), a Norovirus outbreak (gastrointestinal illness) infected 105 passengers (out of 1888, or 5,6%) and 33 crew (out of 814, or 4,1%). All sick suffered from Noro virus symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea) and were quarantined to their cabins. The ship was on a 10-days New Years cruise from homeport Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) Florida.
- October-November 2008, CDC reported on voyage Oct 23 to Nov 9, a major Norovirus outbreak affected a total of 262 passengers (out of 1820, or 14,4%) and 17 crew (out of 794, or 2,1%). The ship was on a 17-days Transatlantic repositioning cruise from Europe to Florida (Venice to Lauderdale).
- April-May 2010, CDC reported on voyage Apr 20 to May 8, a Noro virus outbreak affected 73 passengers (out of 1846, or 4%) and 5 crew (out of 793, or 0,6%). The ship was on a Panama Canal repositioning cruise to Alaska, leaving from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver Canada.
- Note: When the itinerary doesn’t include US cruise ports, the ship is not required to report to CDC, thus no official illness report would be issued.
On the above map you can track MS Zuiderdam cruise ship’s position now. It shows the vessel’s current location at sea (or in port) by live tracking of its IMO number 9221279. If you lose the ship on the map, please reload this page.