Regal Princess cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a passenger vessel with IMO number 9584724, owned by Carnival Corporation and operated by its subsidiary the Princess Cruises line company. Among the unfortunate events at sea are crew and passenger incidents (deaths, injuries, crimes), machinery malfunctions.
Here you can also track MS Regal Princess position at sea.using the AIS live ships tracker of VesselFinder. The 142,700-ton 3600-passenger Princess cruise ship Regal was built in 2014 by the Fincantieri shipbuilding company in Italy.
Regal Princess accidents & incidents
At the Regal Princess CruiseMinus page you will find a complete list of this Princess cruise ship’s major accidents and cruise incidents. Reports are made by our own staff using official data from major online news media sources, Wikipedia and USCG (Coast Guard) reports.
Here we also post updates on Regal Princess cruise law news. They are related to recent crimes being investigated. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits, charges and fines, grievances, settled /withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.
You can add more details or submit your own Regal Princess ship incidents (negative cruise experience reports) via the Cruise Minus “contact us” form.
This is link to the ship’s official site Princess.com.
History, technical incidents
- The vessel was ordered by the shipowner Carnival Corporation on February 17, 2010. The shipbuilding contract with Fincantieri was signed on May 4, 2010. With the same design, facilities and amenities is the Princess Cruises Royal Princess ship (built 2013).
- The vessel’s construction started in August 2012 at the Monfalcone shipyard (Trieste, Italy). The launch (float out ceremony) was on March 29, 2013. Sea trials were successfully completed in 2014 (between April 16 and 21).
- The vessel was delivered to the operator company Princess Cruises on May 11, 2014. The ceremony was attended by the Italy’s prime minister Matteo Renzi and the Princess company’s president Jan Swartz.
- The first Regal Princess cruise itinerary had duration of 4 nights (May 16 to 20, 2014) leaving from Trieste to Venice and stopping in Kotor (Montenegro). The “Inaugural Cruise” was on May 20, 2014 out of Venice, Italy.
- Note: The P&O Cruises Australia ship Pacific Dawn was also built by Fincantieri (Monfalcone yard) and launched in 1991 under the same name – Regal Princess.
- March 3, 2016, the Regal Princess liner was featured in a 6-part documentary (made by Wild Pictures, UK) screened at prime time on ITV in March. The documentary’s name is “The Cruise” – was filmed onboard the ship while sailing in Northern Europe (to ports in Scandinavia and Russia). The series show the crew’s daily routines (featuring the Captain, Hotel Manager, Head Chef), as well as Princess cruise passengers. The premiere was aired on March 3 (8:30 pm GMT). Similar 4-part documentary was filmed onboard Royal Princess liner (named “The Cruise Ship”) and was aired in prime time on ITV1 in May 2014. In both documentaries the Princess cruise company had no editorial control over the production.
Crew & Passenger Death accidents
- Fortunately, no such accidents were officially reported so far.
Crew & Passenger incidents (injuries, crimes)
- February 10, 2015, being 2 days into a RSVP-chartered Western Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades Florida), due to an unspecified medical emergency the ship was diverted to Miami. The incident occurred some 80 ml / 130 km away and en-route from Princess Cays Bahamas to Cozumel Mexico. In the afternoon, 2 male passengers (suffering from amphetamine / drug overdose) were disembarked alive via tender boat in Miami and blacklisted by the Princess Cruises line. As result of the incident, the following stops in call ports Cozumel and Grand Cayman were slightly shortened. The itinerary was themed “30th Anniversary Caribbean Cruise” (gay-themed cruise charter). Curiously, this was the first time for the ship to stop in Port of Miami.
- September 22, 2015, the CBC news media reported live on November 10, 2015 about a medical emergency with an elderly couple being mishandled by the ship’s infirmary staff. The ship left the retired couple (Ana Lisa and Cayetano Avelino, both from Toronto, Canadia) in St John’s (Newfoundland) for 46 days and the man’s treatment was delayed. The man suffered a brain aneurysm and collapsed in their cabin’s shower. After that he was hospitalized overnight in the ship’s infirmary, but the staff didn’t call 911. On the next day, the couple was disembarked in St John’s NF – without any priority, wheelchair was not provided, an ambulance was not called. They were sent to a wrong hospital by a taxy, then transferred via ambulance to Health Sciences Centre for treatment, where he spent 16 days in induced coma.
- March 23, 2017, a male crew (ship maintenance staff) lost a finger when a deck door slammed on it. The accident occurred on deck 16.
On the above map you can track the Regal Princess cruise ship’s position now. It shows the vessel’s current location at sea (or in port) by live tracking of its IMO number 9584724. If you lose the ship on the map, please reload this page.